Dear Section Members:
At the January 21, 2017 ASHE National Board Meeting, the National Board approved an amendment to the National Constitution. Article IX of our constitution requires that 25% of the members of the Society vote on any amendments to the Constitution and that two thirds of the members voting must approve said amendment in order to for the amendment to be ratified.
The primary changes to the Constitution include the addition of Member-at-Large/International Member-at-Large membership categories, clarification of the definition of the elected officers of ASHE, clarification of the operation of committees, and minor textual revisions to clarify and correct the language.
The following is a summary of the changes:
- Preamble - Reworded and substituted “transportation” for “highway” at the end of the paragraph
- Article I - Name, Location, and Functions- Insertion of the word “transportation” and minor re-wording the text within Section 3.
- Article II - Membership- Inclusion of a definition of an at-large/international member within Section 1. Also, revisions to Sections 5 and 6.
- Article III - Admission, Resignation Expulsion & Suspensions- Revised to include at-large and international members.
- Article IV - Initiation Fees, Dues, and Assessments- Revision to language in Section 2 to address at-large/international members.
- Article VI - Nominations and Election of Officers- New Section 3 for Regional officers. Revised numbering for Sections 4, 5,6 and 7. Addition of “Immediate Past President” to Sections 2, 3 (new), and 4 (renumbered).
- Article VII - Management- Reworded
- Article VIII - Committees-Rewording of Section 1 and Section 3
- Article IX - Amendments- Revision to Paragraph 2, Section 4- including the addition of “electronic” balloting and distribution of ballot via hardcopy or e-mail
Minor text and grammatical revisions throughout the document.
PLEASE VOTE BY FILLING OUT THE BALLOT BELOW.